Friday, July 5, 2013

M's First 4th of July

I just love celebrating July 4th!!!  Some of my favorite childhood memories are from our neighborhoods 4th of July street party.  The dads would be outside grilling all day, while the moms and kids made side dishes and homemade ice-cream.  We'd all gather in someone's driveway to eat, visit, play, and shoot fireworks - the big fireworks!  With such great memories of this holiday, I couldn't wait for Matthew to be a part of the festivities.  While the "Purnell Kids" are all grown up and live elsewhere, our parents still continue the tradition, sans fireworks.  Thankfully, there was a good turn out of "Purnell Kids" and now "Purnell Grandkids" this year.  It was so nice getting caught up on everyone's lives.  Unfortunately, Matthew didn't really get to experience fireworks because he was exhausted and asleep by 8:30.  We'll save that for next year :-)  Here are some pics of M's first 4th of July!


We started off the morning with a family walk, then went to the Davidson's house for a backyard cookout!


Matthew loved their playset - it's in the same location as the metal playset I played on as a child


Mike's first go at Baggo

Matthew with his Pop

One of my favorite childhood friends!

Matthew and Emie

The whole crew

Of course, I can't forget to mention that July 4th is also a day that we celebrate my Granny.  She would've been 82 yesterday.  It will be 2 years since she passed at the end of the month.  I so wish she couldn't met Matthew - I know she would've loved him (and he would've loved her)!  Happy Birthday Granny - love you!




No comments:

Post a Comment