Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

September 11, 2001

It's hard to believe that 10 years have passed. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a senior in high school and heard about the first plane when I walked into my mom's office. By the time I got to class the 2nd plane had already hit. While we, traveling STARS, were sitting in a circle the news was showing on the TV. Mrs. Ratliff, my teacher, was talking when we saw the first tower collapse. From that point on class was over. We all moved closer to the TV in order to focus in on what was going on and the magnitude of it all.

By lunch time, the news of a gas shortage had made it's way to my school. My mom checked me out while I was in my American History class - I never got checked out. She gave me her Sam's card and debit card and I left. When I got to Sam's I remember the line for gas was all the way down the access road! I ended up finding a smaller station to get gas then went straight home to catch up on the news.

While I cannot even come close to knowing what it must have been like to have seen these attacks first hand, it still made an impact. My heart breaks for those who lost their lives that day and for their families. I am honored to live in a country that can come together in moments like this. I am also honored that many service men/women have risked and/or lost their lives to help us feel safe again. I pray for our country and that we are able to grow even stronger and closer to Him throughout this next decade. My we not dwell on what happened, but allow it to make use even stronger. I also pray for the service men/women, firemen, and policemen who risk their lives daily in order to make the USA a safer place to live. God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment